International Conducting Masterclass 2023
Maestro Lawrence Foster will conduct the prestigious International Conducting Masterclass. In July 2023, the most talented young conductors will have an opportunity to study under the supervision of this acclaimed artist (the Jury member of the 11th Grzegorz Fitelberg International Competition for Conductors) and familiarize themselves with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic before the Competition. Moreover, the Course will give one of the participants a chance to be automatically qualified for the 1st stage of this year’s Fitelberg Competition.
Lawrence Foster celebrates his ninth year as Music Director of Opéra de Marseille in the 2022/23 season, as well as his fourth as Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Known for his exhilarating and expressive performances in a wide range of music, he enjoys a major career spanning the US, Europe and Asia.
The Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023, conducted fully in English, will be held on 3-7 July 2023 at the Silesian Philharmonic and will cover two forms of participation: active (12 places), and passive (8 places). The active form will consist of the following stages:
- Audio-video recorded sessions, during which conductors will work with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic under the supervision of the Maestro,
- Analysis of the recorded materials, identification of areas for development for each participant,
- An opportunity to conduct the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic during the finale concert, closing the masterclass.
Furthermore, if any of the active participants demonstrates outstanding skills, Maestro Foster – as member of the jury – reserves the right to automatically qualify the best of them to the 1st stage of the 11th Grzegorz Fitelberg International Competition for Conductors.
Passive participants will attend the workshop sessions with the orchestra, the dress rehearsal, and the finale concert, observing the Maestro’s work and the conductors trained by him.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (as of the last day of accepting applications, i.e.: 10 May 2023), must have a degree in music or a status of a student, and must be communicative in English. Conditions for taking part in the recruitment process are as follows:
- Filling out the application form,
- Providing a CV with a short biography,
- Providing a portrait photograph (600 dpi, TIFF or JPG),
- Providing a scan of a document confirming the degree in music or the status of a student,
- Providing an audio-video recording (3-10 minutes, AVI or MP4), featuring the applicant in the role of a conductor – e.g.: a part of a rehearsal or a concert with an orchestra.
Applications shall be accepted from 21 February to 10 May 2023 (to 11:59 p.m.).
Masterclass 2023 participation fee:
- Active participants: PLN 7 000 or EUR 1500
- Passive participants: PLN 450 or EUR 100