Rules of the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023
Terms and Abbreviations
Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course – a paid conducting course held on 3-7 July 2023 by the Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Silesian Philharmonic, hereinafter referred to as Masterclass 2023.
Organiser – the Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Silesian Philharmonic with its registered office in Poland, Katowice, ul. Sokolska 2 (40-084), hereinafter referred to as the Organiser.
Instructor – a conductor, teacher, specialist transferring knowledge and experience, mastering practical skills of the Participants, hereinafter referred to as the Instructor.
Consultant – a specialist consulting audio-video recordings of the Participants registered during classes with the Instructor, hereinafter referred to as the Consultant.
Mentor – a person appointed by the Organiser to provide information on the course, to contact the Participants, and to build relations between the Participants and the Organiser, hereinafter referred to as the Mentor.
Applicant – each person who submits an application to participate in the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course, hereinafter referred to as the Applicant.
Participant – each person qualified to participate in the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course, hereinafter referred to as the Participant.
These Rules define the terms and conditions of participation in the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg Conducting Course Masterclass 2023 and principles of recruiting Course Participants.
- The objective of Masterclass 2023 is professionalisation of young conductors (aged from 18) through running a conducting course.
- The workshops shall be held in Poland, in the Organiser’s headquarters, i.e.: the Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Silesian Philharmonic, on 3-7 July 2023.
- The Participants will be educated in artistic and practical aspect.
3.1. Artistic aspect – each Participant will have an opportunity to acquire conducting knowledge and skills – the conductor as the foundation of artistic expertise.
3.2. Practical aspect – each Participant will have an opportunity to cooperate with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic – the conductor as the main performer of artistic activities.
- Participation in Masterclass 2023 shall be possible for a fee, in compliance with § 9 of these Rules.
- The active participation in Masterclass 2023 is limited to 12 available places.
- Within the scheme of the active participation, each of the 12 qualified Participants shall have:
2.1. Accommodation for 6 nights (with breakfasts) in the vicinity of the Silesian Philharmonic,
2.2. 4 days of practical workshops with the Instructor and the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic,
2.3. 4 days of audio-video recordings (registration of the conducting work performed by the Participant),
2.4. 4 days of conducting consultations (analysis of the material recorded during the workshop session),
2.5. Cooperation with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic, i.e.: work with the orchestra during 4 workshop sessions with the Instructor,
2.6. An opportunity to conduct a part of a dress rehearsal to the concert on 7 July 2023,
2.8. An opportunity to conduct a part of a dress rehearsal to the concert on 7 July 2023,
2.9. A course completion certificate.
- The work performed during the Masterclass 2023 comprises three items.
3.1. The work with the Instructor (item one).
The first stage covers workshop sessions, during which Participants will work with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic. Each conducting activation run by the Instructor will comprise working on an actual performance material directly with the Participant. Passive participants will be simultaneously studying the art of conducting through observation. The order of conducting activation of the Participants will be alphabetic (from A to Z), and its minimum duration shall be 20 minutes each day from 3 to 6 July 2023, for each active Participant.
3.2. Conducting consultations (item two).
The classes shall cover an analysis of the material recorded during the workshop session. The classes will be held for the entire group, and the Consultant will point to areas for development to each active Participant. The recorded material shall be also made available to active Participants of the masterclass in a form recorded exclusively for their archival use (in compliance with § 5 of these Rules). The person of the Consultant does not have to be the same as the person of the Instructor.
3.3. Masterclass Finale (item three).
Performance with the symphony orchestra in front of the audience, presenting the performance material which was the topic of the workshop classes Masterclass 2023 (dress rehearsal + concert.
- Furthermore, in the presence of relevant practical reasons, the Instructor reserves the right to automatically qualify one Masterclass 2023 Participant they choose to the 11th Grzegorz Fitelberg International Competition for Conductors 2023. The Instructor’s decision will not be justified, will be final, and shall not be subject to appeal.
§ 4 Passive Participation
- The passive participation in Masterclass 2023 is limited to 8 available places.
- Within the scheme of the passive participation, each of the 8 qualified Participants shall have:
2.1. The right of passive observation of cooperation between the Instructor and the active Participants on conducting the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic during:
- 4 workshop sessions with the Instructor,
- The dress rehearsal to the concert on 7 July 2023,
- The concert on 7 July 2023.
2.2. A course completion certificate.
- Passive Participants shall be obliged to organise and finance accommodation on their own.
Copyright and Related Rights
- The Participant transfers the copyright and related rights to the audio-video recordings and photo shoots with the Participant, prepared within the scheme of Masterclass 2023 from 3 July 2023 to 7 July 2023, to the unlimited in time, in Poland and abroad, use and distribution, in whole or in parts, with no limitations as to quantities (numbers), including granting sublicenses in the scope of the following fields of exploitation:
1.1 Saving the artistic performance in computer memory and multimedia networks, including storage and further processing into any formats,
1.2.Public display, playing, staging, performing, as well as using in any other way the artistic performance or parts thereof (or any of its elements) in any form of exploitation, in visual works, audio-visual works, or multimedia works, for the purposes of all sorts of advertising, advertising shows, competition shows, festival shows, as well as reviews and other similar events, on the Internet, in multimedia presentations, on television, or by means of any other means of public communication.
1.3. The Organiser commits to provide the Participant with recordings – in the electronic form – featuring the Participant as the main character (the audio-video materials referred to in section 1).
- The Organiser grants the right for the Participant to dispose of the recordings referred to in section 1 exclusively for personal use (archival purposes) with no right to display them in public, but with the right to present the recordings in:
2.1. Recruitment procedures of artistic competitions, masterclasses (e.g.: in conducting);
2.2. Employment recruitment procedures (e.g.: for the purposes of portfolio presentation).
- The Organiser does not grant the right to transfer copyright and related rights to the artistic material referred to in section 1 onto any third parties.
Masterclass 2023 Programme
- Artistic programme of Masterclass 2023 (including the concert on 7 July 2023)
- Johannes Brahms – Symphony No. 4 in E minor op. 98
- Carl Maria von Weber – Overture to the opera Oberon
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Symphony in D major Haffner Symphony KV 385 (ed. Bärenreiter)
- Jean Sibelius – Violin Concerto in D minor op. 47
- Masterclass 2023 agenda.
2.1. Conducting workshops with the Instructor and the symphony orchestra – 3-6 July 2023, 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:50 a.m. – practical workshop part 1
- 10:50 a.m. –11:20 a.m. – break
- 11:20 a.m. – 12:40 p.m. – practical workshop part 2
- 12:40 p.m. – 1:10 p.m. – break
- 1:10 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – practical workshop part 3
2.2. Conducting consultations – devoted to the audio-video recordings of the Participants registered during classes with the Instructor – analysis of performance materials from the conducting workshops
- 3-6 July 2023, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
2.3. Masterclass 2023 finale– 7 July 2023
- 9:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. – dress rehearsal of the concert
- 1:00 p.m. –7:00 p.m. – lunch break and free time
- 7:00 p.m. –9:00 p.m. – concert and ceremony of distributing certificates
- The recruitment process consists of three stages.
1.1. First stage – call for applications – applications are to be submitted from 21 February 2023 to 10 May 2023 (by 11:59 p.m.). Each Applicant wishing to qualify to Masterclass 2023 is obliged to:
- Demonstrate their experience in conducting symphony orchestras;
- Prove their degree in music or their status of a student of music;
- From 18 years of age (i.e.: on 10 May 2023 they must be after their 18th birthday);
- Be communicative in English in speech and writing.
1.2. In order to qualify to Masterclass 2023, each Applicant is obliged to satisfy the following conditions by 10 May 2023:
- Complete the application form available on
- Attach the following to the application form:
- A CV with a short biography,
- A portrait or equivalent photograph (requirements: 600 dpi,
TIF lor jpg),
- A scan of a document confirming the Applicant’s degree or status of a student or music;
- A link (non-expiring, with no time limitation as to the availability of its contents) allowing to access an audio-video recording featuring the Applicant in the role of a conductor (e.g.: a part of a rehearsal or concert with an orchestra, 3 to 10 minutes, in AVI or MP4 files),
- Complete the application form available on
- Second stage – deliberations of the recruitment team – 11-19 May 2023.
2.1. The applications submitted by Applicants will be analysed and evaluated by a recruitment team consisting of the Instructor and the Director of the Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Silesian Philharmonic.
2.2. The submitted applications shall be verified in terms of their formal compliance (satisfying the guidelines defined in section 1) and artistic level. The decision of the recruitment team shall be final and not subject to appeal.
2.3. The final list will consist of the following four categories:
- Active Participants of Masterclass 2023 (max. 12)
- Passive Participants of Masterclass 2023 (max. 8)
- Reserve list – active Participants
- Reserve list – passive Participants
2.4. In the event of a resignation from the course as provided for in § 10 of these Rules, the next persons from the list will be invited, according to the order featured on the published reserve list referred to in item 2.3.
- Third stage – announcement of recruitment results – 19 May 2023.
3.1. Lists of persons qualified to Masterclass 2023 (as active or passive Participants) and reserve lists shall be published on the Organiser’s website on 19 May 2023 (address: https://fitelbergcompetition.com/).
§ 8 Post-Recruitment Process
- Persons qualified to the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course as active and passive Participants shall be informed on recruitment results individually via e-mail by the Mentor of Masterclass 2023 by 22 May 2023 at the latest.
- Qualified persons, i.e.: Applicants who will be granted the status of the Participant (active or passive) will be obliged to remit the payments defined in § 9. The payments shall be remitted not later than by 1 June 2023. Failure to remit payments within the stipulated time limit shall be equivalent with deleting the Applicant from the list of Participants.
Payments for Participation
- Organiser’s Details:
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Silesian Philharmonic
ul. Sokolska 2, 40-084 Katowice, Poland
Tax Identification Number 6340137669
- Participation fees
2.1. Participation fees shall be paid from 19 May 2023 to 1 June 2023.
Remitting the payment after the stipulated time limit, i.e.: on 2 June 2023 and later, shall result in deleting a given person from the list of Participants in the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023.
2.2. Payments shall be made in PLN or EUR, according to the exchange rate as of the date of the wire transfer (as quoted by the National Bank of Poland), in compliance with items 2.3 and 2.4 § 9.
2.3. Payments in PLN
Payments shall be remitted to the following bank account:
93 1090 1186 0000 0001 4266 6156
In the following amounts:
- ACTIVE PARTICIPANT – PLN 7000
- PASSIVE PARTICIPANT – PLN 450
Please provide the following transfer title:
MASTERCLASS/23/FIRST NAME AND SURNAME
2.4. Payments in EUR
Payments shall be remitted to the following bank account:
PL 83 1090 1186 0000 0001 4915 8934, BIC: WBKPPLPP
In the following amounts:
- ACTIVE PARTICIPANT – EUR 1500
- PASSIVE PARTICIPANT – EUR 100
Please provide the following transfer title
MASTERCLASS/23/FIRST NAME AND SURNAME/
Terms of Resignation from Masterclass 2023
- Each qualified Participant can resign from participation in the project by 1 June 2023, by submitting an e-mail statement on resignation from the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023 to the address: email@example.com
- Should any Participant be deleted from the Masterclass 2023 qualification list referred to in § 7 section 3, the Organiser can qualify Applicants from the reserve list to participate in the course.
- Resignation from Masterclass 2023 in the period 2 June 2023 – 2 July 2023 shall be possible exclusively due to force majeure, in compliance with § 12 of these Rules.
- In situations referred to in § 10 section 2 and § 8 section 2 the Organiser reserves the right to add to the list of course participants in compliance with the qualification list referred to in § 7 section 3.
- The Organiser shall have the privilege to exercise or waive the right referred to in §11 section 1 at its discretion.
- Applicants qualified from the reserve list and invited by the Organiser to participate in Masterclass 2023 after 1 June 2023 will be obliged to satisfy all the formal requirements relating to their participation referred to in § 9 within 7 business days after the date of receipt of the notice from the Organiser.
- Failure to pay the fee within the time limit defined in §11 section 3 shall be equivalent with deleting the Applicant from the list of Participants of Masterclass 2023.
- The term “force majeure” means an external unpredictable and unpreventable event the occurrence of which prevents the Organiser or the Participant from fulfilling their obligations, in particular such as natural disasters, wars, terrorist attacks, strikes, illness of the Masterclass 2023 Instructor.
- The Organiser and the Participant shall not be held liable for failure to perform or inappropriate performance of their obligations relating to Masterclass 2023 if the failure to perform or inappropriate performance of their obligations relating to the Rules of the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023 results from force majeure.
- In the event of force majeure:
3.1. The Organiser shall immediately notify the Participant or Participants on the occurrence of force majeure and causes thereof electronically by sending an e-mail message to the Participant’s address provided in the application form referred to in § 7 of these Rules.
3.2. The Participant shall immediately notify the Organiser on the occurrence of force majeure and causes thereof electronically by sending an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Party affected by force majeure (Organiser or Participant) shall make every effort to immediately and in any case not later than within 2 days after the date of notice provide the other Party with a reasonable justification explaining the nature and causes of the force majeure occurrence. If after the notice the Parties do not agree otherwise, each of the Parties shall continue their best efforts in order to meet their obligations.
- To the extent that one of the Parties (Organiser or Participant) is not able to meet their obligations resulting from these Rules due to being affected by force majeure, the other Party shall not be held liable for failure to perform the aforementioned obligations.
- If force majeure affects a Participant and their justification is accepted by the Organiser, the Participant will be able to get a refund of the course fee, fully or partially, depending on the time of force majeure occurrence:
- 2 June 2023 – 2 July 2023 – full refund of the course fee
- 3 July 2023 – 7 July 2023 – refund of 1% of the course fee
- In a special case of force majeure affecting the Organiser, such as the Instructor’s illness or any other sudden indisposition, the Organiser reserves the right to first of all propose an adequate substitution for the Masterclass 2023 Instructor.
Preventing, Counteracting, and Combating COVID-19
- The Participant commits to follow and comply with the current special limitations and restrictions imposed in Poland by competent public authorities in relation to the state of epidemic threat and the state of epidemic caused by SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) in terms of preventing, counteracting, and combating the virus.
- If the Participant is not able to fulfil their obligations under these Rules for reasons attributed to procedures of preventing, counteracting, and combating COVID-19 referred to in section 1, the Organiser:
2.1. Shall not be held liable for failure to fulfil their obligations;
2.2. Shall not suffer any financial consequences for this reason;
2.3. Shall not reimburse the Participant for the payment of the participation fee in the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2023.
Obligation to Provide Information
- The Organiser fulfils the obligation to provide information under the provisions of Article 13 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), referred to a s GDPR.
- Detailed requirements relating to GDPR are set forth in the application form ( § 7 → 1.2. → a ).
- The Organiser reserves the right to amend these Rules.
- These Rules shall come into force on 21 February 2023 and will remain binding until 8 July 2023.
- The Organiser reserves the right to cancel the 2nd Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course if the number of qualified Participants is lower than 8.
- All matters not regulated herein shall be governed by relevant provisions of the Civil Code of the Republic of Poland.