International Conducting Masterclass
Maestro Daniel Oren will conduct the prestigious International Conducting Masterclass. In October 2022 the most talented young conductors will have an opportunity to study under the supervision of this acclaimed artist. The best of them will stand a chance of being automatically qualified to the 11th Grzegorz Fitelberg International Competition for Conductors, which will be held in 2023.
Daniel Oren – the winner of the first Herbert Von Karajan International Conducting Competition – is globally acclaimed by audiences especially for his unique interpretations of Verdi’s and Puccini’s masterpieces. Since 2007 he has been artistic director of the Teatro Municipale Giuseppe Verdi in Salerno, and in 2019 he was appointed Music Director of the Arena di Verona Opera festival, where he has conducted more than 500 performances. He has also served as music director at the Teatro Verdi in Trieste, the Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa and the Teatro San Carlo in Naples.
The Grzegorz Fitelberg International Conducting Course Masterclass 2022, conducted fully in English, will be held on 10-15 October 2022 at the Silesian Philharmonic and will cover two forms of participation: active (12 places), and passive (8 places). The active form will consist of the following stages:
- Audio-video recorded sessions, during which conductors will work with the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic under the supervision of the Maestro,
- Analysis of the recorded materials with Maestro Oren, identification of areas for development for each participant,
- An opportunity to conduct the Symphony Orchestra of the Silesian Philharmonic during the finale concert, closing the masterclass.
Furthermore, if any of the active participants demonstrates outstanding skills, Maestro Oren – as member of the jury – reserves the right to automatically qualify the best of them to the 1st stage of the 11th Grzegorz Fitelberg International Competition for Conductors.
Passive participants will attend the workshop sessions with the orchestra, the dress rehearsal, and the finale concert, observing the Maestro’s work and the conductors trained by him.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (as of the last day of accepting applications, i.e.: 18 August 2022), must have a degree in music or a status of a student, and must be communicative in English. Conditions for taking part in the recruitment process are as follows:
- Filling out the application form,
- Providing a CV with a short biography,
- Providing a portrait photograph (600 dpi, TIFF or JPG),
- Providing a scan of a document confirming the degree in music or the status of a student,
- Providing an audio-video recording (3-10 minutes, AVI or MP4), featuring the applicant in the role of a conductor – e.g.: a part of a rehearsal or a concert with an orchestra.
Applications shall be accepted from 23 May to 18 August 2022 (to 11:59 p.m.).
Masterclass 2022 participation fee:
- Active participants: PLN 6000 or EUR 1300
- Passive participants: PLN 450 or EUR 100